1940's vintage pattern, easy sewing projects, fabric, Family, patterns, projects, retro, sew exhausted, Sew For Victory, Vintage, vintage dress, vintage pattern, vintage patterns
I finished. Late. I do not know what I was thinking. I KNEW April 1, but it did not click that April 1 was passed. Ah well. I am finished with my blouse, and I am pleased with it.
My pattern was a 1940’s blouse pattern I bought off Etsy from Vintage Girl. It came to me all the way from the UK, but I had to have it… I fell in love with the sleeves! Initially I was going to make the long sleeved collar one with the great cuffs, but the more I looked, the more I wanted to do View 3. And so I did!
I had a lot of trouble getting started. Mainly because I could not find a fabric I wanted. And when I finally found an aqua poplin I liked at Fashion Fabrics, it was time to pay the rent and I could not spare the cash. So in true #SewForVictory spirit I spotted an unused purple sheet in my garage and BINGO! It became my blouse!
See? Aren’t those sleeves great? Although, oops, they seem to require a bit more pressing! I am wondering if I should add the shoulder pads. I KNOW they were the thing in the 40’s… and 80’s… Hmmm- do you think they will be back any time soon? I think the shoulder seam would be in the perfect spot WITH the shoulder pads. I may try it out!
The pattern was pretty easy! I was surprised, because I admit I was very hesitant to begin. I looked at those completely blank pattern pieces with punched holes scattered throughout, and ONE page of directions for several days before I even got the courage to start… and finally I just dived in! And it wasn’t bad at all. As a matter of fact the manner in which they did the collars was very simple! And despite there being quite a few darts, once I had marked and pinned them all they went in easily! And I really like all the darts and tucks. They add a nice fit! So feminine!
On a side note- No pattern pieces were harmed in the making of this blouse. 😀
Inside I used all french seams. Oh how I LOVE the look of the inside of a garment with french seams. I put up the hem by hand using hem tape (lace)… I think the inside looks almost as nice as the outside!
I was also worried about the button holes. It has been years since I have done any, and frankly using my daughters $80 sewing machine (mine is still broken) made me wonder if my whole blouse would become a wadder once I tried fighting with it. BUT they went in without a hitch! Easy as pie… I covered buttons because I wanted a nice clean look.
When I was finished I got out the dye. The color of the sheet was a wishy washy kind of purple and I wanted to deepen it so I bought purple dye, and added in a bit of blue. I think the color turned out perfect! BTW- Purple is HARD to photograph! It is a deeper purple than the one below- It is more like the first pic of me…
I wanted to look like the girl on the pattern but my hair is too long so I pulled it back… BUT I did add a black ribbon as a tie. 😀 I am very happy with my blouse and absolutely WILL wear it! Probably sans the ribbon tie!
I think this is a blouse I will make again. I would change the length of the blouse- I would add on a few inches I think. I would LOVE to have a dressy long sleeved one made from silk charmeuse… and I am still pining after a pretty aqua cotton poplin blouse- maybe the short sleeve one for a springy/ summery top.
I would like to thank Rochelle of LuckyLucille for hosting Sew For Victory (and apologize for being late!) What a great opportunity for us to peruse all the wonderful clothing, learn about what the sacrifices the women made during the war- like working at jobs that typically men held and holding the families together. During my research just seeing the changes in styles from the early to the mid to the late forties was an education! I definitely have a greater appreciation for my grandma! My grandpa was a soldier in the Marines for many years! I definitely enjoyed this foray into that period of time and plan on participating again next year!
That is my grandad! He was a career Marine and joined up in the early 1940’s… Later on he became a recruiter and recruited my mom and several of his sons! 🙂
And that concludes Sew For Victory… Better late than never I hope!
Tomorrow- I will post my David Bowie inspired blouse… Yes, I have been slightly BUSY!
Congratulations on compleeting. You look great 🙂
Thanks! I wish I had finished on time but I was trying to finish a bunch of things at once… Ah well. I DID finish!
So what if you were late, you finnished!!! 🙂 Anyway, the most important thing is the process (I know, thats a clishet). It sort of sets you in a mood, you learn and get inspired to do something. 🙂 i can tell, that sewing drives you!! It keeps you allive and thinking,- I can relate to that. I dont know if there are many sewers out there that pationate about what you do!!! Keep it going, you do great!
I love your blouse. and I think dying it was a great idea. I have played a bit with dye and have enjoyed the process. btw I made a blouse from the pretty pink fabric I won from you. Thank you again for sending it.
Thanks Darlene… The pink blouse you made was great! Very springy. We are happy you got some use out of the fabric.
This blouse looks fab and I love that you up-cycled a sheet. Real 40s spirit 🙂
🙂 Thanks a bunch… I am quite pleased!